Paleyellowstar's Reviews > Alone in the Classroom

U 50x66
May 02, 2012

it was ok
Recommended to Paleyellowstar by: Holly

It is rare that I am as frustrated by a novel as I was with this one. Hay chooses Connie's niece Anne as the narrator and her view of things is inaccurate and unsatisfying to say the least. I wanted to know more about Connie, Michael and Syd because I really liked them. I also wanted to find out if Parley had raped Susan and killed Ethel. I wondered how Anne, a third party, could possibly know things like the scene between Parley and Susan Graves.

Everything just seemed muddled. The timeline and subjects kept jumping around, and I found myself having to concentrate very hard just to figure out what was going on.

I was also a bit creeped out by the theme of teachers having sex with students. Syd sleeps with Connie, Connie sleeps with Michael and Parley presumably sleeps with Susan and Ethel. Just because a teacher is a favoured mentor does not mean the relationship between the student and teacher will turn sexual. I know most of them were adults when the sex took place, but it still feels like an abuse of power.

Anne sleeping with Michael, her aunt Connie's lover, just disgusted me. I know Michael was a player but I had hoped he had more sense than that, especially when Anne talks about how Connie thinks she is the reincarnation of Susan Graves, Michael's sister. Suddenly their relationship is even more incestuous. Gross.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It reminded me of the last time I was so frustrated with a book, and that was Underground by June Hutton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone in the Classroom.

May 2, 2012 – Started Reading
May 2, 2012 – Shelved
May 2, 2012 –
page 121
May 3, 2012 – Finished Reading

Karin Your review makes me so glad I abandoned this book.

Susan Swansburg your review sums up my issues with this novel very well.

message 3: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Chisholm Yes!! Totally frustrating read.