Juan R.'s Reviews > Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac

M 50x66
May 02, 2012

Juan D. Ramirez
Book review # 1
Code Talker
If you love history then you’ll fall in love with Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac. It brings Kii Yazhi a young Navajo child at age of fifteen when he makes the decision of joining the army to become a code talker.
One day as Kii is telling his grandchildren a story of when he was in World War two. Kii starts from day one when he was in Boarding school on a normal and peaceful day. His teacher comes inside the classroom with a shock on his face and informs everyone that Pearl Harbor has been attacked and class is dismissed. Kii starts collecting food for months to send to Japan because the people’s resources are being used by the army. When Kii sent the food he thought how can I help even more. Kii and his Navajo buddies think they should enlist in the army. When Kii enlisted he is sent straight to Code School to learn how the Navajo language will be used in war. Then he is sent straight to war experiencing how gruesome and dramatizing it is.
Code Talker is an action and emotional story of a Navajo, Kii Yazhi, enlisting in the army to be a code talker. The author does a great job of making me feel as if I am there with Kii Yazhi in his journey’s and epic battles with lots of description. The plot was in between because at some points it was slow to give lots of description to know the characters and in battle it was fast not knowing what is going on. The author Joseph Bruchac does an outstanding job of developing the main character Kii Yazhi making me feel as if I can relate with him. The theme made me learn that if you set your mind to something and if you have friends to help you can accomplish anything. Any people that like history you have to get this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Talker.