Meg Dendler's Reviews > Sanditon: Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed

Sanditon by Jane Austen

I'm glad I read this after seeing the butcher job on PBS. Shame on Andrew Davies for making it sound like Jane Austen actually wrote all the sex and nonsense he put on the screen. About the only thing he got right was the name of the characters and the location. Charlotte is as rational as Miss Lizzy and never speaks horribly out of turn. Sidney is charming and delightful and never scowls. Miss Lambe has nothing to do with Sidney at all, is shy and retiring, described as half-mulatto and "pale" at one point, and nothing about slavery is involved at all. Sanditon is not in financial crisis, though Lady Denham is very much the same rich and selfish character.

This version was finished in 1975 by "Another Woman," who did an excellent job of capturing Austen's style and how the rest of the story would have logically played out. I would love to see THIS version on PBS.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanditon.

March 11, 2020 – Started Reading
March 11, 2020 – Shelved
March 11, 2020 –
page 62
March 13, 2020 –
page 102
32.28% "At some point the hero will show up, and be a jerk. But seriously, he hasn't even shown up yet!"
March 17, 2020 –
page 125
39.56% "All I can say is the PBS series took GREAT liberties with this story. No sex. Sidney is nice and charming, no glower at all. Miss Lambe is not his responsibility in any way. Charlotte is not a prattling idiot. Great liberties."
March 19, 2020 –
page 172
March 20, 2020 –
page 270
March 23, 2020 –
page 295
March 24, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Susan Ridley I agree. I was looking forward to this version on PBS, then we got the piece of trash That was nothing like a Jane Austen story.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Dendler It was really a disgrace to say that show had anything to do with Jane!!