Ian Russell's Reviews > Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green

May 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, e-books
Read from May 02 to 30, 2012

This is the second ebook I've chosen to read by way of a personal experiment, downloaded free from Project Gutenberg and using an iPad. It's not a bad experience I've found; now I'm fairly ambivalent about the preference between digital and paper but while I'm not yet missing the book, I am starting to miss those trips to the library. Digital downloading is just too effortless.

Anyway, this collection of shorts is, as the title suggests, a series of sketchy tales of relationships and acquaintences. There are stories of couples in love, several men with peculiar character traits, anecdotal mishaps, two about cats, a furniture dwelling spirit, a legendary tale of two tribes, and a very short play.

These are gentle, undemanding stories, amusing at times but short of laugh out loud. Anyone hoping for something absurd and humorous along the lines of Three Men in a Boat may be disappointed. It's something to keep your hand in with while you're waiting, or considering, something better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green.