Jack's Reviews > Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar

Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine D... by Richard Brautigan

202061

liked it
Recommended for: students of 60's history

I read these books back in my hippie days and I fell in love with Brautigans prose. It was beautiful, simplistic and minimalist. He sketched pictures that had surprising detail in few words.

BUT...

I've matured. These books will endure as classics in the minds of young liberals with loads of idealism and a longing to be modern-day hobo's, keeping their minds filled with mush and ignoring the complexity of reality.

Still, though, like reading Kerouac's journals, it offers a interesting insight into the thinking of the flower children of the 60's as well as the tragic figure of a man that ultimately couldn't cope. (Brautigan committed suicide right around his 50th birthday).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar.

July 18, 2007 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 11, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by John (new)

John Wilson Brautigan had an abusive and poverty stricken childhood, so yes, congratulations, he couldn't cope and you can. Hemingway couldn't cope either. Kerouac was far from a flower child, though - the events of ON THE ROAD occurred in the '40's, not the '60's. Kerouac could cope, so he had to drink himself to death.