Ari's Reviews > You Deserve Each Other

You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle

bookshelves: netgalley-arc, favorites, 2020-reads

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | Waterstones

Thank you NetGalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

How great would it be,
to get a second chance?

Once upon a blue moon, I read romance books like they were potato chips and I was suffering from a deficiency. Over time, other genres trickled into my preferences list, and reading romance books stopped being so much about quantity and more about quality.

I either became jaded, or I lost the rose-tinted glasses. In either case, nowadays it's a little more difficult to catch my attention with a book of this genre. But once I read the synopsis for You Deserve Each Other, I was suckered right in.

I haven't laughed with a novel so much in a long time.

Nicholas and Naomi's relationship is an absolute mess in their outward perfection. They are the ideal example of why so many—myself included—believe it's a really bad idea to never fight as a couple just to keep the peace. They do such a good job of highlighting this point, that once the masks come off and the gloves come on, it's a free for all. These two people start making each others' lives miserable, and it's the best thing that happens to them—because that's when they begin to show each other who they really are.

Naomi has a sarcastic sense of humor and wit that makes it not just enjoyable, but delightful to sit back and read through the pranks that she runs on Nicholas to try to get rid of him. And he doesn't fall far behind. He appears to be at first this stuck up, strung-out guy, who in reality loves to give as much as he gets and has a deliciously wicked side. The two demolish whatever semblance of peace they've built together while they peel off the layers of lies they've kept up throughout their engagement.

It was a treat to see two people show how poorly they've grown to fit through lies, and then come close to one another again as they find the care that they really hold for their relationship once the walls have come down. There are so many moments of humor, tempered with a sweetness, sensuality and intimacy while Nicholas and Naomi bond again and realize how truly right for each other they have become again.

You Deserve Each Other is a little jewel in the romance department, ready to deliver all the charming ups and downs of these two imperfectly perfect characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Deserve Each Other.

March 9, 2020 – Shelved
March 9, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc
March 14, 2020 – Started Reading
March 14, 2020 –
24.0% "It's been a whiiiiiiiiiiile since I've laughed so much with a book. I love Naomi :P"
March 15, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites