Rachel's Reviews > Reckoning

Sep 07, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: vampires, transformative-works, dracula-variations
Read in May, 2007

And so we return to the Bloodline universe. This book is, I believe, more tolerable than the first, though likely that is mostly because the absurd premises and unprepossessing writing style are already familiar at this point and thus no longer serve to disappoint. Also, this book has moved away from the direct imitation of Dracula's plot that plagued the first book, though I fear that is no more creative than its predecessor.

In this book, most of our characters from the first book are out of the way, whether they were killed off or simply aren't playing a major role this time around. We're left with Mary Seward and Quincey Harker, and trace the parallel plotlines of Mary being wooed by a new suitor (though do not fear, whatever misguided fans of the first book may exist, this doesn't mean that John's gone forever!) and of Quincey's journey away from Castle Dracula, including frequent flashbacks to his early adulthood, including his transformation into a vampire. The plotlines, both of them, become quite easily guessed for those familiar with the genre, and the book pales into tiresome, forgettable mediocrity, without even most of the out of character hilarity of the first book. However, it did make me wonder what the childhood and adolescence of a supposed child of Jonathan and Mina Harker, raised in Castle Dracula, would in all likeliehood be like with respect to the emotional reality of the situation and, well, the actual personalities of the characters. And new story ideas are always good, aren't they?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckoning.