Sarah's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Elizabeth  Miles

May 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: a-thousand-ships

This review is originally posted on http://a-thousand-ships.blogspot.com/

Overall Score: 658/1000

The concept of Fury was, without a doubt, fascinating. I have always been curious about Greek mythology, which explains my somewhat childish obsession with Rick Riordan's novels. So, of course, the idea of modern day Furies intrigued me. That was the reason I picked up this book from the library. That, and the absolutely gorgeous cover.

The book started off interesting. The alternating views between Em and Chase were nice because you got to see both sides of the story. The writing was fluid and had just the right amount of description. There were twists that I hadn't expected, and twists that I had, which is more than I can say for some books out there.

Now that I think about it, it seems like a good book. It seems like a lot of people would like its creepiness, its twists and turns, and its touch of romance. Everything seems like it would make up an amazing book that people would foam at the mouth and claw others down in the attempt to grab the last remaining copy on the shelf (okay, that may be a little extreme).

But as we all know from that ever present theme in literature and life, not everything is as it seems.

For me, something in the book was off. I don't know what. Maybe it was a missing secret ingredient that could have made it a masterpiece instead of a merely mediocre read.

So there I was, reading along, sort of enjoying it but waiting to see it get better, when the book ended. BAM. It was terrible. I can sort of see how it was supposed to be a cliffhanger. It was supposed to make you want to foam at the mouth and scream in agony because the sequel had yet to be published. That's not really how it happened for me.

I was just like, "Really? That's how it ends? Wow. Disappointing. Do I really need to read more of this when it just seems like it's missing something and the ending isn't good at all? No. No I don't."

So no. I don't myself continuing the series. Yes, it was mildly entertaining, but I didn't love Fury. It was okay.

And, unfortunately, the most emotion this book got out of me was annoyance. I don't think that was what the author intended.

Ahlorha

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.