Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

May 01, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: erotica, contemporary-romance

Fell short of my expectations.

I really wanted to like this book. The first few chapters held promise for me. I felt as though it was well written and had good dialogue. There are terrific reviews, and I picked it up after just having finished FSOG. I assumed it would be everything I was searching for in my next read but, for me, it fell short. My biggest issues were being unable to connect with Gideon at all, and I didn't find that the characters ever came alive. I never felt that the book explained what made Eva so different in Gideon's eyes or why he had an immediate obsession with her. They used sex instead of talking through their horrific issues, and it seemed to fix everything and nothing at the same time. I don't mind a steamy read -- but I have to be emotionally connected to a story in order to appreciate it, and with this book, I just wasn't.

I know there is a sequel, which obviously will explain more of Gideon's character, but I just hate finishing an entire book feeling as though I don't know one of the lead characters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Book Stats:
▪ Genre/Category: Erotica
▪ Steam Caliber: Maximum steam
▪ Romance: Fairly weak and unconvincing. Insta-lust.
▪ Characters: Tormented and damaged. Alpha hero.
▪ Plot: Skimmed the surface of an in-depth storyline.
▪ Writing: Well-written and expressive.
▪ POV: First person: Heroine
▪ Cliffhanger: Yes. Left open for more story.
▪ Next Installment: Follow up/continues

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

May 1, 2012 – Started Reading
May 1, 2012 – Shelved
May 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2013 – Shelved as: erotica
March 1, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance

Leslie Very good point, Kris, (I didn't even go there with the lack of character connection in my review), as it was just too much like FSOG; and that's what I focused on.

Nice review, too! :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Thanks, Leslie! I focused on the similarities, also. I was definitely looking for more fifty, which is unfair to BTY. Although i am pretty certain my feelings would remain the same even if I did not read FSOG prior.

I'm currently reading 'Gabriel's Inferno' and hoping I connect with it! If not, maybe I'll have to switch genres for my next book... ;)

Leslie You're welcome, Kris...you deserved the shout out and I completely agree with what you said! Btw, I actually did notice you're reading Gabriel's Inferno and sincerely hope you enjoy it - just don't look at my review before you finish! ;)

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele I'm almost done, I like it.... I 'll let you know more when I finish.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Amy wrote: "I'm almost done, I like it.... I 'll let you know more when I finish."

Yes, I'd love to know your thoughts when ur finished! I was thinking about discussing this book in our group, but I'll wait till you're done.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele So far I thought the plot and character actions reminded me of fifty shades

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele I need to finish Gabriel's inferno too... Having trouble holding my interest.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Amy wrote: "I need to finish Gabriel's inferno too... Having trouble holding my interest."

You're not liking Gabriel's Inferno so far? Its pace is slower than fifty, but I loved it! How far into it are you?
I did like fifty a lot better than bared to you...

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele Not really... That is why I asked before what the draw is. I find it slow....
I will definitely finish it and read the next one with u guys...I don't find Gabriel enrapturing or captivating...

Natalie Kris wrote: "Amy wrote: "I need to finish Gabriel's inferno too... Having trouble holding my interest."

I'm with u. I freakin' loved GI, and i can't wait for the sequel. Soon soon....)

To bad u didn't like Bared to you all that much. I was hoping it would be (almost) as good as 50...

Kelly Great review, Kris. It's nice to see another person who feels the same way I do about this book. I had the same problems that you did. I felt absolutely nothing for Gideon and the way they used sex to try to resolve they're issues made no sense to me at all. Bet you won't be reading the second one either!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kelly wrote: "Great review, Kris. It's nice to see another person who feels the same way I do about this book. I had the same problems that you did. I felt absolutely nothing for Gideon and the way they used sex..."

Hi Kelly! No, I'm not going to be reading sequel, either. The book just didn't do it for me. But a lot of woman LOVED it, so we definitely are the minority here! Lol. Thanks for the invite :)

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele I liked Bared to You but I didn't love it....unfortunately there is only one Christian Grey.... I like Sylvia Days books though.

Kelly Kris wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Great review, Kris. It's nice to see another person who feels the same way I do about this book. I had the same problems that you did. I felt absolutely nothing for Gideon and the way..."

You're welcome, Kris. :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Amy wrote: "I liked Bared to You but I didn't love it....unfortunately there is only one Christian Grey.... I like Sylvia Days books though."

Amy- yup, only one Christian Grey! Hey, do you know if there is going to be any more fifty? I know the author left it wide open for possibility, but have u heard anything? I loved the ending with the section from Christian's POV! A whole book on that would be awesome :)

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rachiele No I don't have any intel! I hope she comes out with something too. I have reread the CG POV at the end of book..hehe

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Haha- so have I, Amy ! ;)

Mary Mustachio It's like I say, K, Gideon is simply a poor girl's Christian. He tries - truly tries to make the A Team, but alas, Mr. Cross will always be a B- to Mr. Grey's A+ :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Mary wrote: "It's like I say, K, Gideon is simply a poor girl's Christian. He tries - truly tries to make the A Team, but alas, Mr. Cross will always be a B- to Mr. Grey's A+ :)"

Well said, Mary! Couldn't agree more ;)

message 21: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey I agree kris, while the book held my interest I just didn't feel a connection. I will give the sequel a chance though.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Tracey wrote: "I agree kris, while the book held my interest I just didn't feel a connection. I will give the sequel a chance though."

Hi, Tracey :) Let me know what you think of the sequel. Maybe it has more to offer. Hope you enjoy!

Arissa Palmer I totally agree with your review.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Arissa wrote: "I totally agree with your review."

Hi, Arissa :) This was a weird one for me, although so many love it...Glad to see I'm not alone. Thanks for posting!

message 25: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn You took the words right out of my mouth. I just didn't feel connected with the characters. Also, with the past Eva had, how could she be so uninhibited?

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Dawn wrote: "You took the words right out of my mouth. I just didn't feel connected with the characters. Also, with the past Eva had, how could she be so uninhibited?"

Exactly, it just didn't feel genuine at all, unfortunately.

message 27: by Naya (new) - rated it 1 star

Naya Sevasothie I agree... Good point.. While reading, i kinda felt that i was lost cause i dont see their point whenever their arguing and i didn't feel the darkness they're into because it wasn't explained so much and there are 2 books already and i haven't connected as much as i did with FSOG even it was just in the first book..

Michelle Kris I read Gabriel's Inferno and I found it to be pretty good!!! I like the fact that both characters came from a troubled past. There isn't that much BDSM on the level that FSOG was, and unless you are seriously into that, I thought this book was able to stand well on its own. I think you'd enjoy it. Let me know what you think!!!!

message 29: by Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister (last edited Nov 25, 2012 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Michelle wrote: "Kris I read Gabriel's Inferno and I found it to be pretty good!!! I like the fact that both characters came from a troubled past. There isn't that much BDSM on the level that FSOG was, and unless y..."

Michelle, I LOVE the Gabriel's Inferno books! I'm even in the club ;) The story is so tender and gorgeous, but has just enough angst to keep it interesting. Have you read Rapture? Just as amazing...The author is currently writing a third book to the series so I'm really excited for its release! :)

message 30: by Kena (new) - added it

Kena Noguerra Very good point KC ;) i felt exactly the same! FSOG was way more romantic!

Karen Bendo So true! They were far too in love far too quickly.. I think I may have enjoyed it more had I not read FSOG which lacked so much... At least Sylvia writes well... But I tired quickly... If I hadn't had the book already PRIOR to reading FSOG, I think I'd have left it well enough alone.

Leslie Karen, your picture cracks me up!! Sorry, Kris, for the slight hijack. #icouldnthelpmyself

message 33: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley Totally agree!

Macha I have the exact same feelings about the book.

Kristal Taylor Just reading book one hoping it gets better....

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kristal wrote: "Just reading book one hoping it gets better...."

Oh, I hope it picks up for ya! I had such a hard time connecting to this one...but it's such a well-loved series so there's a good chance you may enjoy :)

Nicole I really enjoyed the book. I liked the characters, but was definitely waiting for them to deal with their issues through words. However, I recognize that the whole book seems to take place over a few weeks, so the psychologist in me isn't surprised that they haven't gotten that far yet. And for those who say everything was too quick, it didn't bother me at all because my courtship with my husband of 10 years happened that quickly. Lastly, I haven't read FSOG yet, so I guess I was able to read it without any preconceived notions. overall, good book in my opinion and am looking forward to the sequel.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Nicole wrote: "I really enjoyed the book. I liked the characters, but was definitely waiting for them to deal with their issues through words. However, I recognize that the whole book seems to take place over a f..."

Glad it worked well for you, Nicole. Hope you enjoy the sequel:)

message 39: by Dd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dd You rated it higher than I did.:P Great review!!:))

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Dd wrote: "You rated it higher than I did.:P Great review!!:))"

You know, I've been thinking about lowering the rating to a 2 star, bc I just didn't enjoy this at all...pretty much forced myself to finish. I wrote this when I first joined GR, and I've since become more courageous with my honesty, lol. Thanks, Dd!!! :) ❤

Karla Great review Kristin. This one worked for me, but I know it didn't for a lot of readers. You explained it all very well.

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ So sorry this book didn't do it for you Kristin! = / Your review explained it well.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Karla wrote: "Great review Kristin. This one worked for me, but I know it didn't for a lot of readers. You explained it all very well."

Thanks, Karla! I was loving it in the beginning, and then ... Kerplunk. lol. I'm glad you really enjoyed!! :) xx

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "So sorry this book didn't do it for you Kristin! = / Your review explained it well."

Thank you, Sue! I appreciate it :) ❤️

message 45: by Kristen (last edited Oct 07, 2013 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen Thanks for the honest review, Kris. Believe it or not, I've yet to read this series. I was waiting until it was complete before starting it. However, it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I'll probably never get the chance to read it. LOL. ♡

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Thanks for the honest review, Kris. Believe it or not, I've yet to read this series. I was waiting until it was complete before starting it. However, it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so..."

Aww, you really may enjoy this series! I'm a little weird and picky when it comes to erotica. This book is so well-loved, sometimes I feel like I read it wrong. Lol. Thanks, Kristen! <3

Kristen I still plan to eventually give it a read, but I feel like I already know so much about the plot and characters that I not sure I could read the book with an unbiased opinion. Maybe one day. ((hugs))

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister So true!! Good point ;)

Carelisle Jaenn Hermosada Cabalan I felt the same way... I could not connect to the characters either, it's just sad.

Lisa Jayne We can't all love the same books !! Great review x