Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Wonder

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, novel, reviewed, 1-also-at-lt, dogs, nyc
Recommended to Lisa by: Annalisa
Read from November 11 to 21, 2014

I loved this story. It would have been a favorite of mine when I was 10/9-11.

I finally got to it because of a recommendation from Izzy; I’m so glad that it didn’t languish forever on my to read list, as do most of my “to read” books.

I loved August’s voice so much that at first I was disappointed when another voice/several characters’ voices started narrating the story. However, I ended up really appreciating the multiple perspectives. All of the kids’ points of view are done perfectly, both the fifth graders and the ninth graders.

I had heard that there was one, and I could tell ahead of time what the sad animal moment would be, but at 10 I might not have seen it coming.

The story is very touching, and very funny, and very sweet. The ending was not my favorite, but that’s okay; it worked well enough, and I appreciated why it ended the way it did.

I have some theories about one of the characters who wasn’t given a voice, and I see that there is a published short story told from his point of view, but this book was so perfectly put together that I don’t know that I have much interest in reading it.

I enjoyed seeing all the precepts included at the end of the book.

This is a great book about bullying, being kind, doing the right thing, being courageous, good teaching, friendship and family, and I respected how it didn’t talk down to kids. I remember having these same kinds of deep conversations and thoughts when I was the age of Auggie and his classmates, and I think most readers around age 10 will identify with this group of kids. I also think that this could be a life-altering book for some young readers. And, it was simply a fun read and hard to put down. Very engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

Lisa Vegan Probably best read after you read the book, there are some interesting thoughts of the author on her website, including: http://rjpalacio.com/annotations.html

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Definitely need to read this soon. Thanks Lisa, for the article (The Week) and your review.

Lisa Vegan Laura wrote: "Definitely need to read this soon. Thanks Lisa, for the article (The Week) and your review."

It's a great book, Laura.

I'll be eager to read what you think after you read it.

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Also seems a v timely read.

Ill let you know.

Lisa Vegan Laura wrote: "Also seems a v timely read.

Ill let you know."

Thanks.

Donna Wonderful review, Lisa. I’m glad you enjoyed this book, too. There are so many good things to like about it.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jan 16, 2018 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Donna wrote: "Wonderful review, Lisa. I’m glad you enjoyed this book, too. There are so many good things to like about it."

Thanks! Donna, It's a great book. The author has done some interesting interviews. Just FYI in case you ever want to read them and some are probably video too.