Holly's Reviews > The Tin Star

May 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: m-m
Read on May 03, 2012

Okay. Liked it. Didn't love it. Well written but the whole book was kinda . . .shallow? for my taste. I like a long slow build up to a relationship with a nice juicy plot. That's not this book. Which is fine, but will not make it one of my favorites.

Yes, the two main characters have known each other for a long time, but only casually. Then BAM, all of a sudden it's INSTA-LUST. I mean I like when my romantic pair is attracted to each other, but "look at each other and then it's instant erection time let's have sex right here right now even if it's not appropriate" just makes me flip through a few pages.

Also, I was in the mood for cowboys. But this could have really taken place in any setting with a few tweaks. My favorite books (of any kind) immerse me in the word. The last m/m I read took place during the filming of a TV show. I really felt I as the reader was there with the characters. Another example. I love the author Dick Francis. He sets many of his novels in wildly different settings. Which there was research obviously involved. My favorites of his, I feel like I learned about the world they were in. PLUS there's lots pf plot and interesting characters.

I like the main characters of this book. The supporting characters were ok, but could have used lots of fleshing out. My favorite supporting characters were the dog and the horses.

I did like this book. But, I've liked many others a lot more. And still looking for a cowboy-world to immerse myself in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tin Star.

05/04/2012

Èmina Hello, nice review :) May I ask what the book is called...the one about the tv show: "The last m/m I read took place during the filming of a TV show. I really felt I as the reader was there with the characters."

Holly Magic Mansion, by Jordan Castillo Price. I had a blast reading that one!