Vera Godley's Reviews > A Love Forbidden

A Love Forbidden by Kathleen  Morgan

May 01, 2012

A quick glimpse at the title of this book conjures up a torrid romance. However, that is not the case in Kathleen Morgan's book, A Love Forbidden.

The story takes place around 1878-79 in Colorado and involves the Ute Indians, the Indian Agency, troubles of a half-breed Indian, and a single white woman, Shiloh Wainwright, who simply wants to help educate the children of the Ute tribes. She accepts a position teaching the Ute children and settles in the White River Indian Agency in Northwestern Colorado. There she discovers a long-lost childhood friend. Embittered half-breed Jesse who had once worked on Shiloh's father's ranch. In the past they had held a strong friendship, but Jesse had left the ranch under seriously disturbing circumstances.

Shiloh is now caught in the seething tensions of territorial conflict between the U.S. Government - enforced by an unyielding Agency official, and the Ute Indians who do not wish to change their way of life and settle down in the restrictive area of the reservation. Not only is an Indian war brewing, a conflict of hearts and civilizations is brewing between Shiloh and Jesse.

My thoughts: Ms. Morgan deals fairly with the history of the U.S. Government's dealings with the Ute Indians presenting both sides without taking sides. She shows the firm and the tender emotions of each - the Indians and the white settlers. She shows mercy in the hearts of each peoples. She also shows the determination of each to do as they believe is right. She delivers the strong adherence to one's spiritual beliefs in spite of what others might think or do or say. Ms. Morgan shows us, too, how forgiveness is bound up in the healing power of God's love. Forgiveness of others and forgiveness of ourselves.

I liked the characters and found them believable and well developed by Ms. Morgan. The story line was interesting (enough to get me to Google some information online) and held quite well to the truth of history.

descriptionUte Chief Ouray, a real Indian who is mentioned in the book
Of interest: The Ute Indians settled in Colorado prior to the time of Christ. The State of Utah is named for the Utes. There is some interesting information on the Ute and their history at the following link.

“Available May 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell,
a division of Baker Publishing Group.”
I was provided a complimentary review copy of A Love Forbidden in order to render an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not required to write a favorable review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Love Forbidden.