Aubrie Dionne's Reviews > Night Sky

Night Sky by Jolene Perry

May 01, 2012

A unique YA love triangle set in exotic Las Vegas and told through the eyes of an awkward, yet charming young man.

Favorite line that made me laugh out loud: “I’m not totally comfortable; I’m just used to being uncomfortable.”

Jameson has had a crush on his best friend, Sarah for years. The only problem is, he can’t bring himself to tell her, and now she’s dating the head quarterback. Their friendship is falling apart. To make things worse, his parents are fighting more than usual and the mood in his house is tense. The only thing keeping him together is his swimming and a mysterious college girl with Tlingit heritage and a big secret. Sky is forward and honest, and asks the same of him, which brings Jameson out of his comfort zone and makes his character grow. Honesty is the one thing he didn’t have with Sarah, because if he did, they’d be together now. Only, Sky is keeping her past from him, so she’s not totally honest until later on.

I loved how this story was told from the boy’s perspective! Perry does this “guy” voice so well, Jameson jumped off the page. I loved him from the very beginning, and I wanted him to get what he wanted so badly throughout this story. Sarah doesn’t know what she’s missing. And Sky, so mysterious, yet so forward. I loved how she was everything that Sarah was not. This was an excellently written love triangle. Reading these three teens talk back and forth was hilarious.

The setting in exotic Las Vegas with all the bright casinos and hotels was a breath of fresh air, and the rich heritages behind each character deepened the story. If you’re looking for a unique YA book, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Sky.