Anne Robinson's Reviews > The Familiars

The Familiars by Stacey Halls

34719980

bookshelves: 2020, historical, after-retirement, feminism-women-s-issues, favourites
Read 2 times. Last read March 7, 2020 to March 8, 2020.

This is such a beautifully written book. I loved the way that the main character, Fleetwood, developed throughout the book, becoming more courageous as the tale unfolded and also becoming more aware of how less fortunate people lived in the surrounding area. I was quite surprised when I realised her age, I must admit. The combination of blossoming understanding, new friendship and impending motherhood enabled her to achieve so much in pursuit of the truth and the evidence for that truth. Her ability to ride so well was quite astonishing too!

There was also a real feeling of impending doom, which was also very well-written, with menace from one important male character and disappointment in another. I also enjoyed how we were told more information about the mother towards the end. The historical background and scene setting was superbly done.

This was a real departure from my usual genres and I am really glad that I found the book. It fully deserves many accolades.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiars.

Finished Reading