Connie's Reviews > The House of Velvet and Glass

The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe

F 50x66
May 01, 2012

This book was superb. I stayed up all night to finish it; I was so riveted by the story that I could not even consider sleep. While one of the themes in this book is the sinking of the Titanic (there are many out now due to the 100th anniversary), there were many more equally important themes including: Spiritualism, World War I, Addiction issues with opium and morphine; Women's rights, Philosphies of life and death, the Progressive era, Family dynamics, the Shipping trade, and even old-fashioned Romance. Two important motifs were music and clocks/timepieces.

The author also refers those who are interested in conducting more research to her website: www.katherinehowe.com. I will most assuredly visit the site and peruse the suggested bibliography. I also have several issues that I would like to have clarified. Hopefully, I will be able to email the author with my questions.

I was also fascinated by her earlier book "the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane." (If interested, please refer to my "Good Reads" review.) I will now wait eagerly for her next book to be released in the next few years. Since the author conducts extensive research for each book, I am certain that it will be a year or two before the publication of this future book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Velvet and Glass.

Started Reading