Annette's Reviews > Cry Wolf: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast

Cry Wolf by Jacque Stevens

bookshelves: review-copies, fairytale-retellings

Beauty and the Beast has never been my favorite story, but after reading one dialogue from this book I was intrigued and wanted to read more. So, when I saw the chance to get an ARC I couldn't let it slip through my fingers. I wanted to read this story and if I could read an ARC, even better! I was therefore incredibly happy when I received the ARC. And even happier now after reading it.

Stevens really wrote a wonderful version of this very well know fairytale. Not only did she manage to attach the story of Beauty and the Beast to some historical events and happenings, she also add something new and unique to this story. And if you ask me, that's quite an achievement. There must be at least a billion versions of this story around yet.

The beast in this story was adorable. He's not brooding or dark or mean. He's not a bad guys who turns good for a beautiful girl. He's an adorable boy raised by wolves who just has no idea how the human world works. I wanted to wrap him in a blanket and cuddle him. Luckily Belle thought the same thing. Watching her slowly fall for him, understanding him and realizing that he was the one she needed was beautiful and made her easy to like and identify with.

But apart from the characters, I also really loved the mythology, the story behind the beast, how it connected him to historical events and how all the elements of the original story were kept and yet changed and flipped to feel fresh and original again. Everything was well thought out and it's clear that a lot of research went into this story, even though the result is an easy to read and enchanting fairytale.

I can't wait for the sequel, because that ending really made me want more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.

March 6, 2020 – Shelved