Mischenko's Reviews > Hunger for Life

Hunger for Life by Andy  Marr

1194517

bookshelves: eating-disorders

This book tells the story of a young man (James) who’s eager to start living his life but is held back due to his sister’s mental health. Emma, his sister, is suffering and living with a devastating illness that has plagued her and her family for years. James wants to be present to offer support to his sister Emma and their parents during these difficult times. Simultaneously he struggles with his own emotions, particularly anxiety from everything he’s been through over the years.

We hadn’t always been like that. We hadn’t always been so fucked up. Actually, for many years after Emma was born, the four of us – me, Mum, Dad and Emma – had been happiest when we were all together. There’d been the usual tantrums and squabbles, of course, but we were a solid little family, and for the most part our lives together were happy and simple.

This story really hit home with me. Having a daughter with an eating disorder—I was constantly reminded of the anger, frustration, and other strong emotions that come crashing in. Every family member deals with it differently. It wears on you becoming almost too much to endure at times, tearing you down. Even more challenges arise when people on the outside (friends that are closest to you) lose patience, and in turn your relationships are strained. All you want is for the affected person to act normal again, and for things to return to the way they used to be. Conventional therapy doesn’t always work, and all this time goes by where you just struggle to maintain with normal so far out of sight. I began to wonder if the author had experienced this first hand, because the characters’ thought patterns and the events in the story were written so well, which made the book feel more like a memoir than a work of fiction.

Because the thing was, however much I loved Emma, however protective I felt towards her, there were times when I got angry. There were times when I wanted to shout in her face, to push a slice of cake into her mouth and yell, ‘Just fucking eat it!’ There were times when I became almost blinded by rage, when an electric anger filled my body and it was all I could do not to tear the hair from my head and scream.

Hunger for life was an incredibly engaging read; the story was written well, descriptive and detailed, and the characters were all well-developed and complex. The writing style nearly prevented me from putting this book down. I was brought to tears at times. As far as the characters, I absolutely fell in love with James who narrates the entire story and it’s hard not to connect with him because everything pretty much revolves around him. He offers unwavering support to everyone, and he’s also forgiving which is such an amazing quality. He’s constantly attentive, concerned, reliable, and faithful to his family. Surprisingly, it was hard for me to connect with Hannah at all though; she turned out to be my least favorite character. Some of her decisions didn’t make sense to me and I just lost patience with her because she came across as selfish to me at times. This is of course my personal opinion though. The end was wrapped up beautifully and totally non-predictable.

With themes of love and sacrifice, friendship, family, hope, and overcoming, this book will stay with me for some time. It brings awareness to such an important subject about a disorder that affects so many in this world and sadly isn’t taken seriously enough. It’s a reality for many. I highly recommend this book.

You can also read this review and others @ www.readrantrockandroll.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunger for Life.

March 6, 2020 – Shelved
March 6, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2020 – Started Reading
April 29, 2020 –
April 30, 2020 –
May 2, 2020 – Finished Reading
July 14, 2020 – Shelved as: eating-disorders

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Starjustin (new) - added it

Starjustin Heartfelt review Jen! I’ll add this one because it touches home.

Mischenko Starjustin wrote: "Heartfelt review Jen! I’ll add this one because it touches home."

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to chat about it. Hope you enjoy. 🙂

Maureen Lovely thoughtful review Mischenko, glad you enjoyed it too 🌸

Maureen Maureen wrote: "Lovely thoughtful review Mischenko, glad you enjoyed it too 🌸"

Thanks Mischenko, I can see how personal it was for you, and must have been a difficult read, but it’s great to bring about awareness of this awful disorder 🤗

Michael McLellan An exceptional review of an exceptional book. It taught me a great deal about an important subject I knew very little about.
Lately I've had the pleasure of getting to know Andy Marr a bit. He's an amazing guy.
Good vibes your way, Jen. These stories that hit close to home can be tough, but sometimes they can be therapeutic as well.

Mischenko Maureen wrote: "Lovely thoughtful review Mischenko, glad you enjoyed it too 🌸"

Thank you, Maureen. I agree that it’s such an important read and I hope many more will read it. Thank you 🧡

Mischenko Michael wrote: "An exceptional review of an exceptional book. It taught me a great deal about an important subject I knew very little about.
Lately I've had the pleasure of getting to know Andy Marr a bit. He's a..."

Thank you, Michael. I totally agree with you and believe this book can be helpful to others too. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. 🙂

message 8: by david (new) - added it

david A beautiful review, M. I am going to read it. Thank you.

Mischenko david wrote: "A beautiful review, M. I am going to read it. Thank you."

Thank you, David. I hope you enjoy. ☺️

Andrea Great review. Good book.🤩

Mischenko Andrea wrote: "Great review. Good book.🤩"

Thank you, Andrea. 🧡

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader This is a beautiful, insightful review, M. I added the book and definitely want to read it. Sending love to you and your daughter. ❤️

Mischenko Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "This is a beautiful, insightful review, M. I added the book and definitely want to read it. Sending love to you and your daughter. ❤️"

message 14: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Mischenko, I also wanted to say how meaningful your review is given your personal connection to the story. Wishing all of the best to your family.

Mischenko Angela M wrote: "Mischenko, I also wanted to say how meaningful your review is given your personal connection to the story. Wishing all of the best to your family."

Thank you so much, Angela. I appreciate that so much. ❤️

message 16: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky I was impressed with your fine review, Mischenko.

Mischenko Joe wrote: "I was impressed with your fine review, Mischenko."

I appreciate all your positive comments today, Joe! Thank you very much. ☺️