Arthur Graham's Reviews > The Bad Ass Bible: The Bible's Greatest Hits Remixed

The Bad Ass Bible by Harry F. Kane

May 01, 2012

As should be expected from its subtitle, "The Bad Ass Bible" encompasses a swirling, tripped-out fusion of biblical stories retold within the context of 20th century film, music, and literature. Moses is R.P. McMurphy, Abraham is Bilbo Baggins, and Jesus is (among other things) a kinder, gentler version of John Rambo. Lazurus digs himself out of the grave in true "Night of the Living Dead" fashion, while Lot and his daughters spend quality time in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Maxian future. Readers are invited to roll with the hallucinations as "The Godfather" morphs into "A Clockwork Orange", "Akira", and "Anna Karenina", dragging Ehud, Eglon, and a host of other major and minor biblical figures along for the ride.

The fiery eye of "Master" watches over it all, blending both Old and New Testament versions of the Christian God into a figure that, at first glance, bears little resemblance to Tolkien's Sauron. However, this is just one of the many twisted deconstructions that ultimately come to make sense over the course of the book.

When he isn't conducting healing seminars and getting lynched by ornery locals ("They know not what they do"), Jesús ("Funny name, he didn't look Mexican") is cast in the role of Gandalf the Grey, battling alongside Onan the Barbarian in their epic jailbreak from Hell. More traditional pairs (Bill & Ted, Kane & Abel, Wayne & Garth, Adolph & Eva) make appearances as well, their actions and dialogue serving to reinforce the biblical refrains looping through the experiences of the book's more central characters (Elisha, Miriam, etc).

"The Bad Ass Bible" contains far less violence than the religious text it's modeled after, so don't let the weapons forming the cross on its cover fool you. Still, it would be a mistake to equate all badassery with these implements of destruction in the first place, especially when the most badass thing about this book is its dizzyingly creative drive. Recommended for all sinners and saints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Ass Bible.

10/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Hey, this sounds good! I particularly like a kinder, gentler version of John Rambo. Is it on the Forbidden Index?

Arthur Graham Manny wrote: "Hey, this sounds good! I particularly like a kinder, gentler version of John Rambo. Is it on the Forbidden Index?"

I don't know, Manny... One never knows, but perhaps the pope could forgive this one?

message 3: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny I had to go and look - apparently the Index was abolished in 1966 by Pope Paul VI. I feel something rare and beautiful has been taken from the world.

Arthur Graham Manny wrote: "I had to go and look - apparently the Index was abolished in 1966 by Pope Paul VI. I feel something rare and beautiful has been taken from the world."

Pity... Such a dubious honor could only improve sales!

message 5: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Is this formatted like a collection of short stories?

Arthur Graham Ian wrote: "Is this formatted like a collection of short stories?"

Inasmuch as the "other" Bible is. Each chapter stands alone, but the overall effect of each is enhanced by their interconnections in theme and subject matter.

Almost as tripped-out as Moses on Mt. Sinai...

message 7: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Cool. Thanks. And thanks for the friend request, too. I like your "about me" section. Reminds me of myself. I too hope to earn enough--doing anything--to support my drinking habbit. But as a government-employed tax lawyer I will have to claim the income on my tax returns.

Shamus McCarty Amazon wouldn’t let me list this book for free because it’s “Public Domain”. Bull %$#^, it’s not even close to “Public Domain”. So in protest I put a free version up on here. Download it now before Amazon makes me take it down!

Arthur Graham Etienne wrote: "Amazon wouldn’t let me list this book for free because it’s “Public Domain”. Bull %$#^, it’s not even close to “Public Domain”. So in protest I put a free version up on here. Download it now before..."

Perhaps they were dumb enough to confuse this with the "other" Bible?

Shamus McCarty That's exactly what's going on. Idiots...

Arthur Graham Maybe Harry ought to read them a passage or two - Could test their true biblical knowledge.

Shamus McCarty I'm pretty sure "God" doesn't speak in Metallica samples in the King James Version. But I could be wrong... It's been a while.

Shamus McCarty And I gotta shut her down..... It was fun while it lasted. Bye, bye free book...

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes Sounds like goofy fun