Shauna's Reviews > The Blue Fairy Book

The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: daoine-sídhe, draíocht, folklore-síscéal
Read in May, 2012

"She lives in a castle which lies east of the sun and west of the moon..."

Of all the fairy book spectrum, I'm glad I started with blue. More than a few old favourites in here, in particular the stories East of the Sun, West of the Moon, and Beauty and the Beast. It's lovely regardless, I think, to fall every now and then into a world where, even before first sight, people can fall so deeply in love that they can't eat or drink (view spoiler) and where disgruntled witches curse you never to be happy until you discover your nose is too long for your face.

The Blue Fairy Book contains 37 stories, from a range of different sources. Be warned that not all have the happy endings you may have grown up hearing.
(view spoiler)

Then again, some end even more happily.
(view spoiler)

Whatever the ending, it's a great collection. Particularly good if you need something you can just dip in and out of, but at the same time you have the compulsive need to see story straight through to it's end, sleep be damned.

"And in despair he began to tell the Beast all his misfortunes, and the reason of his journey, not forgetting to mention Beauty's request..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Fairy Book.

10/01/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Ruby (new) - added it

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] I'm dying to find a vintage hardcover of one of these books in antique shop one day. It's just not the kind of thing you can read an ebook of!

message 2: by Ruby (new) - added it

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] And having just written that, I realised Amazon has free Kindle versions of them!

Shauna As much as I wish I had that vintage hard cover, I'm afraid I was reading the good old free Kindle version.

message 4: by Ruby (last edited May 01, 2012 05:15AM) (new) - added it

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] Yeah - I just caved and downloaded them. But I'm still gunning for those hardcover editions. Antique shops beware....