Jyothi Menon's Reviews > The Map

The Map by T.S. Learner

bookshelves: thrillers
Recommended to Jyothi by: no one
Recommended for: everyone

I really found it engrossing.

When I first chose this book, it was out of a mixture of desperation/experiment feeling and I liked the feel of the title and cover. It was a risk because I am not the one who goes for absolutely unknown writers (This is my First T.S.Learner) I love mysteries/thrillers and usually by tried and tested authors.

But I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe a bit draggy, but generally the author is very skilled at creating the scenarios and characters. Plus her knowledge of facts and how she has used it in this book is very good. And I actually felt moved by the fate of the characters Andere , Izarra, edouard, and jimmy peters. The part on the tree of life is fascinating and also how the mazes were created. Also found the character of Olivia intriguing. Is she good/bad?There is a questionmark there. She is definitely psychic. The book picks up pace after the first 1/4.

Actually several questions left hanging for which I guess I need to read the sequel. What happens to august? Is he finally acquitted of the crimes thought to have committed? Will there be a face to face between him and Hully? How does he deal with the betrayal? What about Gabirel? Will August re -unite with Cecily? Though I guess Izarra was closest to him.

I was really fascinated by the story of the Basques. And the suffering of people under colonialist yoke is highlighted well and it is moving. Also of the kabbalah.

At the end of the day, she is able to grip and capture my interest. And I feel glad that I chose this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map.

April 29, 2012 – Started Reading