Jennifer Marie's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Sep 06, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-books, fantasy, ya-2008, 2016-books
Read in June, 2016

** spoiler alert ** I read the book description a while back and added it to my to-read list and them forgot about it. The description caught my attention, but not enough to immediately request it from the library (as I already had about four books I needed to read). I eventually forgot about it until a friend posted their review and raved about the book. I read the book in a day and a half. Once I started I couldn’t stop.

I think the strongest point of this book was the female character (Oh I have to insert here that I loved that it was told only from her viewpoint, I don’t see that happen often in YA Fantasy, more so in Middle Grade, but not so much in YA, I think it made the story that much stronger and really reinforced the female’s strength). Katsa is physically strong. By the end of the books she’s mentally strong too. She’s a character that grows, we see a change in a believable progress as well.

The concept of the book that certain people are borne “graced” is what first grabbed my attention. I love that all the conflict was centered/focused around this concept. All the problems that arise throughout the book are because of “graced” individuals. It’s not necessarily their fault all the time, but the perception that society has on them. Without giving too much away I can say the author had an idea, a concept and really used it to it’s fullest to create conflict.

There were some nice twists in the novel too. I never saw the demise of the bad guy coming the way it did—I have to say I was happy that ultimately in the end it was Katsa that took him down. I think it was fitting to the story and her growth. I also never saw Po’s end affliction coming. I think I was hoping for a slightly different ending, but what we were given was satisfying. I always say the ending is the hardest part of any book. Typically it’s the end that disappoints me in most books. While this book didn’t give me the end I expected I can say that it didn’t disappoint.

First Read November 8 2008
Second Read June 15 2016

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

11/08/2008 page 11