Lin's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

May 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: owned, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

This book could have been better. It's not like the concept behind it is bad, it's just that the execution is... well. Sloppy.

Like so many reviewers before me I found the beginning very strong, hence the two stars still as it proved the author *can* actually write, but as soon as Jacob travels to Wales the whole thing sort of flops over and starts to drag. I had trouble finishing it, actually, especially because the second to last chapter is suddenly really very long and suddenly all!action!galore! and I just couldn't bring myself to care.

The characterisation is no good, either. The author suddenly introduces a whole slew of 'peculiar' characters, but never gives them more than 'this is [name] he has this special power'. I kept mixing them up, too, which goes to show how little they have to tell them apart from their 'magical' powers (which tend to fall under either 'dull as bricks' or 'deeply unoriginal').

I also figured out the 'twist' with the bad guy long before it happened and it wasn't as twist-y as it could have been. I really think the author should have built up to it more, given him more of a presence in the book, it would have had far more of an impact then.

There's a sequel coming, but I probably won't check that one out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.