Jessica's Reviews > Breathing Room

Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Apr 30, 2012

Read from April 30 to May 05, 2012

Yet again, I have been impressed with Susan Elizabeth Phillips' romances. The two that I have read so far stand head and shoulders above the typical population of the romance genre, and I will be sure to read more of her work. This book in particular was especially entertaining because of the career of the leading man, Ren. As an actor, I felt like he was able to act a lot goofier and dramatic than other leading men (e.g. wearing disguises) which I found very enjoyable. The leading lady, Isabel, was a better person than me but I really liked her for it. She was a perfect foil for Ren and the emotional growth that they both went through made for a great story.

Of course, I have to say that the setting added a lot to the story as well; in fact, the story wouldn't have been the same without it. Tuscany really came to life in this book. The detail in the descriptions and the accents of the locals were all exquisite and pulled me right into the story. The only reason this book has four stars is because of the secondary love story in the book. While I did enjoy the storyline of the ex-wife and her husband, I felt like more depth was given to them that I wanted devoted to the main characters.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book. It's romantic, funny, and well-written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathing Room.

05/03/2012 page 192