Bookgirl86's Reviews > A Place Called Jubilee

A Place Called Jubilee by Timothy J. Garrett

U 50x66

A saga that spans multiple time periods, significant historical events and all over the American countryside, Timothy J. Garrett's 'A Place Called Jubilee' is not only a treat for the mind but for the soul as well.
Beginning at JFK's inauguration, the story follows the gradual political awakening of a white pastor named Coleman Hightower, his love for a black woman named Rosalee, and their search for awareness and meaning in an unstable world. Of course, there are also killers, witchcraft, a long-dead slave and other different and wholly unique plot points in this one-of-a-kind historical novel.
I absolutely loved this fresh take on a historical. The small supernatural and mystical elements were fascinating and they definitely added to the story in a lot of ways. I love a good subtle supernatural tint to a book. This novel gave me such an interesting perspective on the Civil Rights movement from the viewpoint of a man who was simultaneously questioning his faith. Coleman was a very like able character and one that I found myself rooting for. Rosalee was a lot more worldly and tough, both traits that I appreciate in my female characters.
The writing was lovely, the atmosphere was well-drawn and the pacing was pitch perfect. Garrett has a way with descriptions that both touches the heart and challenges the mind. Not only was every scene perfectly painted in my mind while reading, but the dialog backed it up with its cleverness and wit. As a big fan of historical fiction novels, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I really felt like it was well researched and that Garrett took his time to get the details right when writing. This is something that is very important when dealing with touchy subjects. I will be thinking about this one for a long time to come!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place Called Jubilee.

Finished Reading
March 4, 2020 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Timothy (new) - added it

Timothy Garrett Thank you for reading my book and sharing your thoughts with everyone. I am happy that you enjoyed getting to know my characters and I am especially glad that my book has gotten you thinking. That is the best outcome that a writer can hope for!