megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Guest List

The Guest List by Lucy Foley

**4.5-stars rounded up**

Lucy Foley's, The Guest List, was a fun and fast-paced, guessing game of a read; perfect for fans of Dame Agatha Christie, or Ruth Ware.

Weddings are generally memorable occasions for one reason or another. There's frequently some level of drama simmering just under the pristine surface.

That's certainly the case for Jules and Will's wedding, taking place on a remote Irish island that the grumbling guests agree to congregate on for a 48-hour period.

This story is told from multiple perspectives over the course of the weekend, with the body and the killer only being revealed at the very end.

I was intrigued from the start. Swept up into the atmosphere of the remote location almost immediately.

I loved how it had a classic mystery format, while the content itself, made it quite modern. The lavish destination wedding was perfect as an impetus, and backdrop, for the action.

This story has one of my favorite things, well, many of my favorite things, but one of the most notable was the quirky cast of unlikable characters.

Everyone had something to hide. Everyone had an axe to grind and I was there for every cat-clawing minute of it.

The setting was extremely atmospheric, channeling a gothic vibe by incorporating some of the island's earlier history and lore into the tale.

The varying perspectives kept the chapters short and therefore the story never had a chance to fall into a lull. Each chapter ended on a sort of mini-cliffhanger that kept me wanting more.

This book received a lot of buzz this year and for good reason. If you haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, what are you waiting for!?

I cannot wait to see what Lucy Foley comes up with next!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guest List.

March 4, 2020 – Shelved
March 4, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
December 14, 2020 – Started Reading
December 15, 2020 –
page 33
10.0% "This is the exact vibe I am looking for right now!"
December 16, 2020 –
page 60
December 16, 2020 –
page 166
50.3% "Oh my, where did the past couple of hours go!?!?"
December 19, 2020 –
page 262
79.39% "What is Lucy Foley going to bless us with next!?
I haven't finished this yet, but I already want more from her."
December 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Allison Krulik I loved this book too!!! So suspenseful!

megs_bookrack Allison wrote: "I loved this book too!!! So suspenseful!"
It was so fun!! Glad to hear you loved it too. I feel like it is a story you can really escape into for a while! Perfect for 2020 😄😂

Barbara Lemon Great review!! What a fun read!!

megs_bookrack Barbara Lemon wrote: "Great review!! What a fun read!!"Thank you, Barbara! It really was 🧡