Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)'s Reviews > Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Apr 30, 2012

liked it
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2012

Emerson Cole has been thrown into a world of intrigue and excitement, with a secret organization called Hourglass at the center of it all - oh yeah, time travel is involved as well. Her and her friends are just now recovering from their altercations with Cat Powers and Jack Landers, evils former members of a group of time travel researchers who wish to steal Hourglass' powers and manipulate events in time to their advantage. But than at a party at Em's brother's restaurant, they are threatened with an ultimatum to find Jack or have time be altered in a horrible way. Also, saving Michael and Liam in the by changing the timeline has damaged the very fabric of time and the ripples of time are beginning to have more substance than they should. It's up to Em, Michael, Kaleb and Lily to find Jack and put an end to possible problems before they happen. This means that Lily will have to use a power that she's sworn not to since she was forced to leave Cuba with her Grandma years before. But even then it may not be enough to save them from disaster. And where does the InfinityGlass come into play? Will Em and her fellow Hourglass team members all make it out alive? I liked the first book decently enough, so I figured that I would give this one a shot. I was glad that Em and Michael were not the focus in this one. Their relationship nauseates and annoys me beyond belief. Kaleb and Lily were my two favorite characters from the first book, so the possibilities excited me. It ended up being another disappointing case of unrealistic, insta-love. The book was from Kaleb's POV and while that could've made a difference, there was practically no distinction from Em's narration in the first book. At first I didn't even realize that Kaleb was the one narrating! And the time travel stuff was interesting, but too confusing. If I wanted a physics class I would take one - there's a reason I'm reading fiction! Lily was more in-depth in this book, which was the best part for me. But towards the end of the novel even she devolved into a clone of Emerson. The only thing that I really enjoyed was the action, Kaleb's discoveries of the complexity of his powers and how to help his Mother recover from Jack's devastating attack on her mind. Not a book I would recommend unless you're okay with mediocrity or are in love with the first one already. I will probably be sucked into the next one though, because of the cliffhanger. It made me it's bitch and I totally admit it!

VERDICT: 3/5 Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is June 12th, 2012.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timepiece.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks for your review. I wasn't a big fan of the first book, so at least you let me know why I probably shouldn't continue. I understand what it's like though getting stuck and needing to continue after the cliffhangers. I've been there!

Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay) Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "Thanks for your review. I wasn't a big fan of the first book, so at least you let me know why I probably shouldn't continue. I understand what it's like though getting stuck and needing to continue..."

Books like these should come with a warning label: cliffhanger ahead, abandon ship while ye still can! :) LOL