Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Apr 30, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, witches-mages-psychics

It took a couple of efforts to get into this third instalment in the Alex Craft Series. There was a fair amount of recap, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing - it had been a while since I had read book two and revisiting the story was a good idea. But, what made it particularly difficult was the lengthy and often repetitive internal monologue of Alex, the main character.

I kept getting distracted, my mind wandered and to be honest, the story just didn't grip me at all. Then Falin appeared. There was an obvious shift in the story as soon as he graced the pages. From there on in, I found it increasingly difficult to put the book down. By three quarters of the way through, I was addicted. Nothing could tear from my book.

This time Alex faces off against a soul stealing death plane creature. There are ghouls and we meet a new character, in the form of a Magical Enforcement Agent with Rambo-like fire power. She is a great addition and makes Alex's life hell.

But, although the mystery was good (and got better and better as the story unfolded), the true genius was in the romance(s). Falin. Oh, how my heart ached for Falin. I soo wanted Alex to end up with him. And then there was Death. I came into this book a little undecided on who was the best love interest for Alex. I left the book firmly in Team Death's quarters and continued to lament the ending all night.

Now, I cannot wait for book four. I only hope the wait is not too long - and more importantly, Price hits the ground running on the next one, bypasses the repetitions and goes straight for angst-filled, roller-coaster ride, romance.

Had this been brilliant from the start, I'd be giving it a 9/10 on the NBRS. It left me wanting more. But, taking two breaks to read other stories while trying to get into this one, means it has to be marked down. Still, I'm going with a 7: "Good solid read, something to get your teeth into."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.