Heather's Reviews > The Uninvited Guests

Apr 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways
Read from May 10 to 15, 2012

"The Uninvited Guests" is a clever, slightly tongue-in-cheek tale about a dignified English family who is at risk of losing their home. However, the main story begins when there is a nearby train accident and the survivors are directed to the family's home for temporary care. These survivors appear at the home, along with a strange man who appears to know the lady of the house. The family attempts to maintain their composure, continuing with their plan of celebrating Emerald's birthday, despite the crowds of people stored in a side room. However, a dinner game turns ugly, family secrets are revealed, and dignity is ultimately thrown aside in favor of love and family.

I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and I enjoyed it. It was quite well written and was pleasantly full of English flavor. In my mind, the narrator is a slow, ironic English gent who somehow sees humor in the dire circumstances presented. The characters had real depth to them, despite their own shallow views of themselves. There were also underlying themes involving social class that was cleverly incorporated into the story without forcing the morals on the reader.

The only items I felt fell short were the pace of the novel and the plot twist. As mentioned, the book was very English and the narration was slow in my mind. The book moved slowly, a little too sluggish for my taste although it may be appropriate to the style. There was also a twist in the plot that should have been unexpected. However, I unfortunately was able to anticipate the twist and some of that climax was lost on me.

Overall, this book was a good experience and I would be interested to read other Sadie Jones stories in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uninvited Guests.