Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)'s Reviews > The Sun Down Motel

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

bookshelves: haunted-house, ladies-of-horror, horror

It’s hard not to be in love with a book that basically fulfills all my murderino dreams with a splash of the supernatural.

In alternating chapters, Vivian (1982) and Carly (2017) dig into the strange murders and disappearances in a small upstate New York town called Fell that swirls with darkness and is strangely stuck in the past.

I loved the way the book worked like a procedural, but without the hardboiled, rundown detective bit. Instead, you get to live vicariously through these two girls, each of whom just wants to figure out what’s going on in Fell and how it’s connected to the skeevy motel they both work at. The girls are smart and stubborn, and I wanted to be them and also be their best friend.

It is so much fun to see how they unravel all the clues using some basic resources anyone might have access to. From combing microfiche and old newspapers at the library to light stalking and impersonating people over the phone, I was captivated and may or may not be convinced that I could now solve a cold case.

Completely compelling and utterly readable, this is a book that you will almost need to devour in one sitting if possible! I can’t wait to pick up more of St. James’s books.

My thanks to Berkley for my copy of this one to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Down Motel.

Started Reading
February 29, 2020 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2020 – Shelved
March 2, 2020 – Shelved as: haunted-house
March 2, 2020 – Shelved as: ladies-of-horror
March 2, 2020 – Shelved as: horror

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

tightrope.to.the.sun I am 200 pages into this right now! I can't stop reading :)