Lyndon's Reviews > Tomorrow's Children:

Tomorrow's Children by Milo James Fowler

bookshelves: ebook

This is a solid second book in a trilogy. A lot of middle novels simply mark time between the initial set-up in book one and the expected conclusion in book three, and so I often skim through a book two on my way to the 'good stuff.' But Fowler doesn't take the easy way out here. In Tomorrow's Children, he introduces new elements, new protagonists, new scenarios, new situations - so that the initial set up (while providing the overall framework for the series) doesn't unfold as a foregone conclusion. This book kept me reading, not skimming - and that's unusual for me, especially at over 400 pages. (Well worth the reading time for those who, like me, like shorter works.)

Read the blurb to get the gist of the storyline, but overall I'd describe this genre as post-apocalyptic with a paranormal twist. The first book (After the Sky) had people emerge from underground bunkers after 20 years, once the all-clear signal was give (a bit reminiscent of Wool's silos). But the damage of nuclear and bio/chemical war was done - the people in North America were infected and some were horribly transformed (think Walking Dead but faster and with lots and lots of ammo). Others were given special gifts (some believe, by the Spirits of the Earth, thus the series title) and exercised these superhuman abilities (the paranormal twist) in their quest to survive. It all makes for a fascinating future scenario.

Oh, and by the way, the rest of humanity is sterile. Thus, the new elements, protagonists, and scenarios/situations. There are twenty babies, still in artificial wombs, waiting to be birthed. And every faction on the planet wants them. Will they end up in the City of Glass (book 3 to be released soon)? And what will happen to the human race at that point? Can't wait to find out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow's Children.

March 2, 2020 – Started Reading
March 2, 2020 – Shelved
March 3, 2020 –
50.0% "This is book two in the Spirits of the Earth trilogy by Milo James Fowler. Milo is a writer friend of mine and I'm familiar with his many short stories and novellas, but this is the second full length feature of his I've read (the first being book one in this series). I don't normally jump into books over 400 pages (my preferred length any more is under 300) but these novels are worth it."
March 4, 2020 –
75.0% "This is a pretty good middle novel. Many middle novels of a trilogy simply mark time when the reader wants to get to the good stuff in the final book. But there is a lot of good stuff here, new elements introduced, new conflicts, so that the final conclusion isn't all that clear yet. Good writing."
March 5, 2020 – Finished Reading