Craig's Reviews > Love Is a Mix Tape

Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

Sep 05, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction-and-memoir-favorites
Read in September, 2008

I finished this book in two nights. My thoughts on it are a bit scattered, so my review most likely will be as well. Fair warning, and all that...

Part of me feels guilty for giving this book 5 stars. If it were a 10 star scale, it would have been a 9, but the 5 won out over the 4 when it was divided to a 4.5. I've been giving a lot of 5 star ratings lately, but I've been touched by a lot of books lately.

And that's really the point. This book is not written with amazing prose. (Sometimes it is funny and well-delivered. Sometimes it feels like it is trying a little too hard to be clever.) The book does not have a story to tell that is 100% original. But that doesn't matter. The story is true - almost painfully so at points - and the story genuinely feels like it needed to be told.

The story touched me. It helped me say goodbye a little to someone and made me think about them more at the same time. It made me examine my life. It made me think about loss and grief and how we handle both. It had hope. It had delirious hopelessness. It explored music and made me explore music in every aspect of my life (and those closest to me know the insane addiction I have to the idea of the musical "mix" anyway -- so that of course hit home with me, not unlike High Fidelity.).

Also, it made me feel better about my irrational nostalgia for the 90's. It really put into words what I felt was missing since those years and made me feel less ashamed for missing them so much.

I really recommend this book to anyone who has had someone close to them die far too young. To anyone who lived thorough the 90's and felt a strange sort of hope rising through the music and the culture only to lose that hope later.

Also, unpack your old mix tapes. This one will most likely make you want to hear some heartbreak you haven't tuned into for a long time.

And that's a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is a Mix Tape.

Diana Joseph Well said! I love this book, too.

Georgette Thanks Craig... I miss the 90's, I miss my brother, I miss mix tapes, I miss the easy time we had of it and had no freakin' clue. Heartbreaking and funny, hopeful and lost, I identified closely with most of this small book. For anyone who's made a mix tape, lost a friend, or tried to find themselves after a tragedy.