D.H. Schleicher's Reviews > The Escape to Candyland

The Escape to Candyland by Yong Takahashi

The Escape to Candyland is an interesting collection of short stories. Most are told from the lens of immigrants or marginalized characters, and I appreciated this POV as the guiding principle in the collection. Many of the tales (most taking place in the greater Atlanta area) share characters or plot points which makes some of this read like the broken pieces of an unfinished novel. Yet other stories don’t seem to fit in with the grander scheme of the collection.

While overall this didn’t gel for me as much as I would’ve liked, there are some fascinating characters and anecdotes in here, some shocking…some sad…some hopeful. Don’t let my hang-ups on how the collection fit together stop you from reading this. There’s enough good stuff here to make me want to read more from Yong Takahashi

“The Winner” stood out in my mind especially with its depressing, soulful take on gambling addiction. But a line from “Sacred Spaces” was probably the most powerful and captures the spirit of the collection the best:

“We’ve lived our lives like compressed balls of yarn, twisted and knotted together, unable to separate ourselves from each other. Once I let my secret go, all the others will unravel.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape to Candyland.

March 2, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read