Bonnie McDaniel's Reviews > Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays

Here for It by R. Eric Thomas

bookshelves: read-in-2020, non-fiction, journalism, essay-collection, memoir, humor

I've never read any of R. Eric Thomas' work before, but this combination memoir/essay collection is both touching and laugh-out-loud funny, usually on the same page. Thomas writes about being a gay black man in America with a sly deadpan wit that makes you laugh and makes you think, and that's a winning combination no matter how you look at it. The final essay, the story of his marriage to his husband David Norse, is emotional and poignant, and "Molly, Urine Danger Girl," the tale of a teenage Eric who believes there's a monster in the enormous white people's mansion where he's babysitting, is hilarious. After reading this, I had to go catch up on his daily column at Elle.com, "Eric Reads the News." (Shame on you, Elle, for not providing an RSS feed. Fortunately, I was able to find an online feed generator and fetch one anyway.) I don't read a lot of nonfiction books, but this one hit the spot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here for It.

March 2, 2020 – Started Reading