Zoë's Reviews > Lowcountry Bribe

Lowcountry Bribe by C. Hope Clark

Apr 30, 2012

bookshelves: mysteries

I read a lot of mysteries, and I really enjoyed this one. There were a few things which were rather fresh and new about the mystery format here. Imagine a version of Paretsky's VI Warshawski or Cornwell's Scarpetta, but with the narrative set in South Carolina and the heroine having a Southern twist. I also liked the fact that unlike many hard-boiled heroines, Slade has children to protect. This complicates the narrative and creates new sources of tension.

The plot concerning a bribe begins in quite a mundane way, but it feels very authentic. I was impressed by the fact that the story is based on a real incident when C. Hope Clark was working for the US Department of Agriculture. It was also during this time when Clark met her husband who was a federal agent. Much of the momentum in the plot comes from Slade's sparky relationship with the fictional agent, Wayne.

I also liked the fact that Clark uses the plot to deal with a lot of important women's issues, such as domestic violence, sexual harassment and sexual violence. The villains of the book are haters of women and are sinister enough to make the book extremely compelling.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lowcountry Bribe.