Kelly's Reviews > Time Untime

Time Untime by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Apr 30, 2012

liked it

Okay, I am an unabashed Sherrilyn Kenyon fan. Her books usually come out and are done within the next day or so with me, so Time Untime left me a little confused. There were things I liked a great deal about it--mostly Ren--but there were things that I liked rather less. I managed to put this book down for a couple weeks and kind of forget about it. Not sure I've ever done that with an SK book before. There is a lot of old, old history in it, and I'm a history buff, so it's cool, but even for me and my love of things old and crazy names, keeping things straight in this book was occasionally a bit of a challenge. I especially got sort of confused when we go from Cherokee history to Mayan and exactly how that all tied together. The other thing this book did that bugged me was it got a little long-winded. Towards the end you have a number of nearly page-long paragraphs which are not only preachy, they're repetitive. At the end of the day, I'm not quite sure the mix of Maya and Cherokee worked for me, and that was disappointing. I mean, the name of the book is Time Untime, but it's mentioned early, then nearly forgotten--so much so that by the time I picked the book up again, I thought the one mention I saw of it was the first time I'd seen it. Maybe it was implied for a good portion of the novel, but not referred to enough. It was sort of "generic apocalypse, must stop the end of the world" feeling than a specific "this is the Time Untime" deal.

The pacing is good. When I was reading, I was in it, but Time Untime never had me so wrapped up that I could not walk away. Neither did it give me that keyed up feeling that a really good suspense or action scene will. It was a good read, but not the level I'm used to. I'm ready to get back to the Greeks and Atlanteans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Untime.