Starbubbles's Reviews > Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1

Apr 29, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: manga
Read in April, 2012

I have to be honest, I hated this. It's not that I haven't read the exact same story and actually liked this. I have, and this has been a repeat theme in many of the series I have read. Not the case here.

Then there was the art.
I have never been a fan of the squished in face on guys. I think it makes them look brutish.
I also found the poses and outfits of our lovely heroine to be beyond annoying and fairly typical of depicting extremely young girls. We all know what I'm talking about. It's the knees together, toes apart pose, with the barely there skirt (which apparently does get shorter), and classic pig tails that extrude from her scalp.

The greatest part of this was the characters themselves. I found them vapid. Vapidness would imply that there was any depth anywhere in here, and that's just not true. It would even be okay if they started stagnate and picked up momentum somewhere downstream and grew a little bit. Someone could have grown more mature, while the other could have that perfect veneer ripped off. Ah, that would have peaked my interest.

Instead I have this, a mangaka not quite understanding relationships, but somehow can fantasize enough to weave a "believable" story, but forget that her own stories involve love scenes. That would be key to remember when you convince your boyfriend to play the hero in these stories. Then, there is Okita. Never getting upset, never stating what he wants to do, just a go with the flow nub. Sure, he'll explain current happenings when tears are shed, but they did not reveal a deeper understanding of how he opperates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1.