Petrik's Reviews > The Lightning Tree

The Lightning Tree by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: owned-ebooks, favorites
Recommended for: The Kingkiller Chronicle fans
Read 2 times. Last read March 2, 2020.

I read The Lightning Tree in Rogues anthology.

Cozy, sweet, and memorable, The Lightning Tree is a must-read novella for every fans of Bast and enthusiast of The Kingkiller Chronicle.

The Lightning Tree is a short novella in The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss, and the plot revolves around a day in the life of Bast—Kvothe’s apprentice and one of my favorite characters from the main series—that takes place roughly a month before the start of The Name of the Wind. You can read this story in an anthology called Rogues that’s published in 2014. Honestly, I’m going to admit that I can’t go through a year without reading something in The Kingkiller Chronicle. I have a serious withdrawal from the world of Temerant, it’s been three years since I first ventured into Kvothe’s story, that’s much shorter than many other readers who have waited more than a decade, and I can’t help coming back to this world and Rothfuss’s writing; I love every story in The Kingkiller Chronicle so much, and The Lightning Tree is no exception to that notion.

“Then the wind stirred and Bast saw something white. He felt a sudden chill, fearing it was a page torn free from the book. Few things angered his master like a mistreated book.”

Ah, Kvothe, I understand your feeling regarding books with all my heart.

It’s incredibly magical how ALL of Rothfuss’s works in The Kingkiller Chronicle series improved significantly on reread; I liked/loved them on my first read, but I absolutely loved them on reread. There are so many amazing intricacies to the world he has crafted, and it’s only on reread you begin to notice just how much details Rothfuss has imbued into the world of Temerant. Now, The Lightning Tree doesn’t move any part of the main story within the series forward; as I mentioned, it’s a day in the life of Bast, and it happened before the first novel even begin. And yet still, there’s a new detail to discover, especially regarding the Fae, their magic, and of course, Bast’s personality. Rothfuss doesn’t waste words; prose-wise, I personally think he’s one of, if not the, best in the entire genre. This particular quote that I’m going to show you next is just a very tiny glimpse of the enormous talent in his writing:

“So much was so easy. Glamour was second nature. It was just making folk see what they wanted to see. Fooling folk was simple as singing. Tricking folk and telling lies, it was like breathing. But this? Convincing someone of the truth that they were too twisted to see? How could you even begin? It was baffling. These creatures. They were fraught and frayed in their desire. A snake would never poison itself, but these folk made an art of it. They wrapped themselves in fears and wept at being blind. It was infuriating. It was enough to break a heart.”

I loved reading every page of this story, and I can sing with utmost confidence that The Lightning Tree is one of my two favorite novellas of all time, the other one being The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson. Every moment of silence in the plot intensified the scene effectively, the emotions of the characters were evocatively written, and the banter made me smile, and the tribute to George R. R. Martin—let’s not even get started with Bast’s errand to find carrots—made me laugh. They say that lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice, but there’s an exception to Rothfuss’s books. From my perspective, the second lightning that strikes The Lightning Tree ended up being more impactful and powerful than the first occurrence, and this phenomenon is applicable to all of his books.

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Alfred, Devin, Hamad, Joie, Mike, Miracle, Nicholas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Tree.

April 5, 2017 – Started Reading
April 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2020 – Shelved
March 2, 2020 – Started Reading
March 2, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Ah, you make me wanna continue the series so bad but I have other books to finish before then! Fantastic review, as always 😊

Petrik Maria wrote: "Ah, you make me wanna continue the series so bad but I have other books to finish before then! Fantastic review, as always 😊"

Thank you, Maria! Such an amazing series, even though it's unfinished, I still love going back to this world at least once every year! 😊

message 3: by Pyramids (new)

Pyramids Ubiquitous I'm waiting for an announcement of Doors of Stone before I get involved with this world again to read Lightning Tree.

Petrik Pyramids wrote: "I'm waiting for an announcement of Doors of Stone before I get involved with this world again to read Lightning Tree."

Seems like that will take a while! 😂 I'm predicting 2022 release year but we'll see whether I'm right or wrong in two years!

message 5: by ChopinFC (new) - added it

ChopinFC Your review is really convincing bro. I love and hate Rothfuss, even more than GRRM - as he at least has given us 4 books. I mean how many years does it take to fucking edit the 3rd book?! Still I’m a sucker for his writing..I’ll end up reading this.

Petrik ChopinFC wrote: "Your review is really convincing bro. I love and hate Rothfuss, even more than GRRM - as he at least has given us 4 books. I mean how many years does it take to fucking edit the 3rd book?! Still I’..."

Thanks, bro! Haha I undedstand your frustration. For me though, no one writes like Rothfuss and even though he has only two novels, one novella, and this short story out, I consider his books better than some authors who have published more books than him.

It's worth noting that it took more than ten years for him to write his debut, he has always been a slow and perfectionist writer. Anyway, while we wait for the 3rd book (if it ever comes out) we have infinite number of books to read! 😂

message 7: by ChopinFC (new) - added it

ChopinFC Petrik wrote: "ChopinFC wrote: "Your review is really convincing bro. I love and hate Rothfuss, even more than GRRM - as he at least has given us 4 books. I mean how many years does it take to fucking edit the 3r..."

Most def my friend.. what we don't lack are awesome fantasy books!!

message 8: by Melt (new) - added it

Melt I always thought about re-reading the kingkiller chronicles, but then again thought I might be crazy to even want to do this, because it is so much. Still I have to admit, that I think and compare every book to the KKC, because they are just unrivaled. Good to know that there are more like me out there, who are willing and wanting to spend time re-reading a trilogy if that length again... and love it even more afterwards.
By the way I will be willing to wait as long as it takes to read the next/last part, as the first books raised the bar so high, that it won’t be an easy job, to keep the same standard.
Thanks for your fantastic review and encouraging me to re-read...

Petrik ChopinFC wrote: "Petrik wrote: "ChopinFC wrote: "Your review is really convincing bro. I love and hate Rothfuss, even more than GRRM - as he at least has given us 4 books. I mean how many years does it take to fuck..."

Can't disagree with that! 😀

message 10: by Petrik (last edited Mar 08, 2020 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Melt wrote: "I always thought about re-reading the kingkiller chronicles, but then again thought I might be crazy to even want to do this, because it is so much. Still I have to admit, that I think and compare ..."

Thank you, Melt! The Kingkiller Chronicle is just a specially amazing series that somehow gets even better on reread. I've reread many books, and I will say that this is the only series that makes me love the series even more on reread, which is insane considering how incredible it was during first time reading. Definitely do a reread if you feel like it, same like you, don't mind unfinished series, I have countless other books to read as I wait! And we definitely shouldn't let an unfinished series prevents us from rereading a series we dearly loved! 🙂