Have Coffee Need Books's Reviews > The Killing Fog

The Killing Fog by Jeff Wheeler

Bingmei is every girl's inner warrior.

The Killing Fog is an Asian inspired Mystic-Action-Fantasy and the first book in Jeff Wheeler Grave Kingdom Series. Bingmei is the sole survivor of a series of attacks that took first her parents and then her grandfather. The tragedies left her with little more than mystic abilities and a need to avenge her family; she certainly does not have a family beyond the band of mercenaries and assassins with whom she travels. She can count the Killing Fog somewhat of an ally, though it is a rather unforgiving and unrepentant one.

What I love most about Bingmei is that she can be a heroine to every female. She can sniff out the situation and trusts her intuition. She's strong even when she doubts herself, she turns her negative emotions against one another instead of against herself. She listens to learn. This woman gets up more times than she falls. Ironically Bingmei translates to 'little sister,' but the diminutive distracts from the mettle of what forged the woman.

Jeff Wheeler created an incredible world. The characters are excellent. The talents are fantastic--Bingmei's especially. She's got a gift for knowing the good from the bad. You won't be able to help but love Kunmia or Rowen. Wheeler's understanding of the culture and social customs of traditional Asian society is rich and well portrayed.

I look forward to the next book. I want to know where the adventure of the phoenix-chosen goes next.

With thanks to Jean The Book Nerd, I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Fog.

February 20, 2020 – Started Reading