Deborah's Reviews > Harbinger

Harbinger by Marcia Meara

bookshelves: murder-mystery, mystery, paranormal, supernatural
Read 2 times. Last read January 30, 2020.

A little girl goes into the woods with someone she trusts – but never comes out again.
20 years later, Sheriff Wardell asks if Mac and his adopted son, Rabbit, will consider reviewing the unsolved cold case in the hope that maybe Rabbit’s gift of the Sight might bring something new to light where conventional methods failed.
Rabbit is keen to help bring closure to a family torn apart by the girl’s disappearance, and Mac, along with a less than keen Sarah, agree to support him as he learns more about how to use his extraordinary talents. It isn’t all plain sailing, and sometimes downright painful and challenging, but with his impressively developed sense of justice, Rabbit is tenacious, and as he meets more of those involved, ever more determined to find an answer to the mystery that ripped a family apart.
Once again, Meara brings us an insight into the nature of the villain, a man haunted by disturbing dreams of a giant black dog – Ol’ Shuck, the harbinger of death. As his fabricated life falls apart – like his sanity – we get a good look at what formed him into the monster he became. I found myself by turn appalled, and then saddened that a child should be shaped into such a twisted creature he never really stood a chance of becoming a worthwhile human being.
No cardboard cut-out baddies here!
Meara excels at taking local legends and incorporating them seamlessly into her stories, alongside the charm of her expanding main cast: Rabbit, Mac, and Sarah, along with Sheriff Wardell and his family. Once again, I was enthralled and propelled through this book without pause, and right on into the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harbinger.

Finished Reading