Corinne's Reviews > The Eleventh Plague

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

Apr 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, coming-of-age, american, apocalyptic, survival, fathers-and-sons, biological-warfare
Read in April, 2012

The Eleventh Plague is a survival story. A story of what could happen after we humans have made so many destructive choices and waged so many wars that any sort of governed life is just for the history books. Stephen Quinn knows just how hard this kind of life can be. With no memories of civilized living, all he knows is moving, traveling from one place to another, trying to find enough salvage to trade for food and trying to stay safe from the roving bands of people who would love to do him and his father harm. Soon, with only his fifteen years of hard living as a guide, Stephen is going to have to make some really tough choices in a world where trust is a scarce resource.

I am feeling sort of "meh" about this one. Perhaps I have read enough of these post-apocalyptic stories now that I need a really good twist or plot to get me excited. This one does have a place in the genre - a male protagonist may get different kids reading and it's not as though there isn't any exciting violent action-I just wasn't ever gripped. The first person narrative was a little too "tell-ing" for me and the romance fell a little flat. I do think, however, that younger teenage boys might find this a great gateway book to the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eleventh Plague.