Kyle's Reviews > Sacred Scars

Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey

M 50x66

This review will be spoiler-free for people, even if you haven't read the first (fantastic) book in this (fantasic) trilogy, Skin Hunger.

Skin Hunger was a dark fantasy novel, and was not in any way a fun read. After the rather anticlimatic ending of the first book (don't let the word "anticlimatic" deter you, it's still fantastic!), we're thrown into a whole new ball park. We still follow or main characters Sadima Killip and Hahp, whose stories are set centuries apart.

For a book that clocks in at 554 pages, I was never bored, and while at times, for very brief periods, it could be slow, it never felt so slow I wanted to put the book down. The pages flew by, and I was enthralled in this world, these characters, this story, everything about it.

I do have some issues however. I do like the writing, and while it's good, I noticed that, especially when reading about Sadima, the sentences are very choppy. Normally that doesn't bother me too much, but in this book it did. Also, around 300 pages into the book, something happens to Sadima, and it completely changes her story, and even more so, her character. I didn't enjoy her as much in the second half, simply because she was so foreign to the Sadima I'd come to grow and love since the first installment. I mean, she still possessed traits that the old Sadima had, but some of her outlooks on stuff that she'd once believe in change, and something about her just felt off (and I know, something was off, but it really bugged me).

Yes, the way how time would fly by also annoyed me. One paragraph skipped five years into the future for Sadima! I know, her story covers over a large expanse of time, yet that doesn't mean I'm under any obligation to like it.

Yet I still love everything else about this book. While it's not the greatest climax to a book, the ending is stronger than the first one. The writing is also solid, when I wasn't getting annoyed by the choppy sentences (which weren't too frequent). The characters are unique, dark, and have depth and layers to them. The world, especially in this book thanks to the extra 200 pages added and the second half of Sadima's story, is more fully realized, and we learn more of the various cultures that inhabit her world during this time. It's atmospheric.

After that ending, I cannot wait to dive into the third and final installment, whenever that book comes out. So far, the only info I've heard is that a third book will come out. No title, cover, synoposis, releaste date, or estimated year of release, nothing. Just the publisher, and Untitled (A Ressurection of Magic, #3).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Scars.

April 29, 2012 – Shelved
May 20, 2012 – Started Reading
May 21, 2012 –
page 84
May 21, 2012 –
page 280
May 22, 2012 –
page 363
65.52% "The weirdest thing about this book is how Sadima's storyline spans almost 40 years now. So, how old is she now? Pretty old for a YA main heroine."
May 22, 2012 –
May 22, 2012 – Shelved as: unique-setting
May 22, 2012 – Shelved as: what-did-i-just-read
May 22, 2012 – Shelved as: will-definitely-re-read
May 22, 2012 – Finished Reading

Emily May I'd really like an update on that third book too, even just a word from the author to let us know that it's definitely still coming :/

Kyle Have heard rumors that it's coming out this November, but the lack of information says otherwise. I expect this time next year we'll (hopefully) have much more info.