Mark's Reviews > The Atrocity Archives

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

Apr 29, 2012

One of the best books I've read since the Hitch hikers triology. (Not couting any recent discworld books.) But as is the case with Terry Prachett's work, I can't love everything, even though I want to.

This and all the Laundry Files books are great. Bob Howard is smart, and geeky and brave but in the greatness-thrust-upon-him way; very likable.

As opposed to MacX (sp) the hero of some of his short stories is smart and geeky but also creepy and weak. And it's hard for me to care what happens to him. Most of his other books are space operas, which might be okay is you like that sort of thing.

Bob has a good relationship with a good woman who happens to play a demon-slaying guitar. He's always good enough to save tha world, but only just. He does the right thing even when it's hard. Even though he always has it in the back of his mind that it's probably not worth all the trouble. And I was always rooting for him. Fantasic lovecraftian stories, even better than Lovcraft's. I can't wait for the next one!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Atrocity Archives.