Olivia Holliday's Reviews > Followers

Followers by Megan Angelo

liked it

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I think it would make an entertaining mini-series as there are so many layers and sub-stories going on at once. The first 40 pages or so I was a little confused, because the book flashes back and forth between a span of 30 years. I was having trouble keeping the characters and their separate storylines straight while trying to see how they would ultimately connect.

This took me longer to read than I would have thought. Starting out, I was very intrigued and could not put it down. The middle was a little drawn out to me and I feel it could have been cut down without impacting the overall story. I found it almost too ironic how similar some of the situations in this book are to current events. The overall theme involving sharing and the internet showed the dark side of influencer culture, social media, and digital marketing/branding. It was kind of scary to think about. Even though most of the situations taking place in the future during this novel seem outlandish, there is part of me that can see how these events may actually come to fruition if we are not mindful of our actions and the rippling effects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Followers.

February 28, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read