Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Familiar Dark

The Familiar Dark by Amy Engel

Out March 31st!

I honestly wasn't looking for this book, but it kind of fell in my lap thanks to the publisher!

What would you do if your young daughter and her friend were found murdered in a local park while walking home? The Familiar Dark explores one mother's response to this unthinkable act.

Amy Engel's development of the main character was nothing short of masterful. I felt like I was walking in the mother's shoes as she takes matters into her own hands to investigate this crime against her daughter. There were so many different layers to her personality, her relationships, and the story in general that made it very enjoyable.

While there is a twist at the end, the conclusion didn't really sit well with me. I had a difficult time believing the outcome, but I understand why the author went the direction she did.

Overall, this was a good murder mystery with wonderful character development (which is always something I look for).

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Amy Engel, and Penguin Group Dutton for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiar Dark.

February 28, 2020 – Started Reading