Darrell's Reviews > The Naming of the Beasts

The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey

Apr 29, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed

After four books, the final showdown with Asmodeus is finally here. But can Felix Castor destroy the demon without killing his possessed friend? This is the best book in the Felix Castor series so far. The writing is witty as always. In fact, for the rest of this review, I just want to quote some of the more memorable lines:

"I ducked out of seeing The Passion of the Christ because someone spoiled the ending for me."

"Dead leaves from seasons past didn't so much crunch as sigh under our feet, crumbling instantly into dust like vampires caught out at dawn."

"Living versus dead? Sooner or later, we all defect to the other side."

"The sun was coming up behind him, giving him a halo he'd done nothing to deserve."

"There's a lot to be said for fainting dead away at the awkward moment when the action is over and done with and the cleaning up has to start. Other people can bear your wounded body from the field and take care of all the messy stuff, while you cavort with pastel-coloured bunny rabbits in a magic garden where marshmallows and bottles of single malt whisky hang like fruit among the trees."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naming of the Beasts.