Mendhak's Reviews > Starsight

Starsight by Brandon Sanderson

did not like it

I struggled immensely with this second in the Skyward series.

There is a sudden 'scene' shift and Spensa is now in an alien world surrounded by a diverse group of aliens. The premise is poor and boils down to "because reasons"; a series of convenience deus-ex-machinas arrive just in time to facilitate any logistical problems such as alien languages and adjusting to new never-before-encountered societies.

The problem - I just couldn't get over the poorly written aliens: they are basically humans with slightly different appearances and quirks. And they act just like humans, from mannerisms to motivations. I tried to look past it, but it was simply too jarring.

The first book's characters are pretty much done away with, to introduce a slew of new boring characters that I didn't care about, in a complex mire of inane alien politics which have no bearing on the first book's continuity.

This author's stories are normally well thought through and have fantastic continuity, just not this particular series. I am again wondering if this is representative of YA books and whether they need to be avoided entirely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starsight.

February 27, 2020 – Started Reading