Gail's Reviews > Sweet Venom

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

F 50x66
Apr 29, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult

This book is a story adapted off the whole Medusa story. Clearly I read this book during my "mythology books faze" (hence, the mythology) and I must say that it was an interesting book.

First, when I saw that there would be more than one main narrator, I got nervous. I don't like more than two narrators just that I find more than two tends to ruin the book for me since I get so confused trying to keep track as to what happened but Tera Lynn Childs does an excellent job making all three of the sisters flow when they tell they're story. She also does a really good job giving each of them a distinct personality that makes it harder to mix them up, making it easier for me to read it. I was never lost during this book, or confused as to who was speaking - which is good, very good. I also really liked the varying personalities. Sometimes it gets monotonous with one speaker, especially if they're very boring but all three of these main characters has a distinct manner and it's intersting to be reading one chapter with a concerned narrator to a chapter with a narrator who is a fashionista. I enjoyed that imensely.

My one concern about this many narators is that each narrator has a different love interest, which may get confusing later on in the story. Can't wait to see what will happen.

Second, the whole concept of this book is old but new - modernized I should say. The whole monsters coming out of portals and only the chosen one can see who they are has been done over and over again. Take Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this is sort of like that so if you're a Buffy fan, definitely give this book a try. Anyway, the one thing I found unique about this is the whole spin off the Gorgon sisters. Perhaps I've just never read a story with it before but the way the myth was integrated into the story was amazing. It really did sound normal, in the context of the story of course.

Lastly, I have to say that the cover was what first attracted me. I'm a firm believer that if a cover sucks, you're not going to enjoy the story as much. Seeing this cover, I had already a sense that I would like it and of course I did so bravo whoever designed the cover. You did an amazing job.

So if you're a fan of mythological inspired fiction (i.e. Everneath) and enjoy good old action than you'll definitely enjoy this book.

4 cups of tea (out of 5)
MEH

originally posted on Tea.Books.Love

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Venom.

April 29, 2012 – Started Reading