Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > The Two-Date Rule

The Two-Date Rule by Tawna Fenske

bookshelves: contemporary

Is it really a dating rule when you go out of your way to break it? This book had me looking forward to each new ‘non-date’ that Grady and Willa came up with to work around her self imposed ‘two date rule’. The author built the tension with each meeting and the chemistry was hot enough to warrant a fire hazard. Such a fun story!

Willa has a history that made such an impact on who she is today. It impacts every decision she makes for herself to not become her mother, to not go down the path of her father. To make a better life that she can call her own and be proud of. To a fault. Ms Fenske sprinkles in bits and pieces along the way and I could see Willa creating these rules (not just for dating) to protect herself. To have control of her life. But she needed to have that life plan shaken up a bit and one seriously sexy smokejumper was just the right slice of perfect to show her that plans can be changed.

I’m not sure what amused me more. The not so smooth attempts at justifying the ‘non-dates’ or the witty dialogue. It was all good and kept me turning pages. They just had to figure this out. Grady and Willa needed each other and I love love love finding stories where I want to get to know the characters so I can help them find their HEA. That’s not really an option so second best is reading an author who brings me right into the story. This is one of those books.

Willa’s relationship with her dad tugged on all the feels. She says more than once that he’s ‘complicated’ and I got that. I felt her anxiety when she remembered or spoke of her childhood. I knew Willa would have to come to terms with her past and I had no doubt there would be way more sparks between her and Grady before that was settled. I mentioned the feels this book stirs up. It was on both ends of the spectrum including wanting to throw something at her through my Kindle at one point.

Grady had work to do and I loved the advice his father gives him. And it was going to require patience and perseverance. He’s not perfect, he also had his own issues to work through. That’s why I loved them together. They had their own independent lives but they gravitated to each other. It was beautiful and I want more smokejumper stories now.

The Two-Date Rule ends on the perfect note. Tawna Fenske is a fantastic story teller and I’ll be watching for new stories to be released as well as checking out her book log.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two-Date Rule.

Started Reading