Frank Nappi's Reviews > Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball

Wherever I Wind Up by R.A. Dickey

M 50x66
Apr 29, 2012

bookshelves: baseball, sports
Read in July, 2012

R.A. Dickey’s stirring memoir “Wherever I Wind Up” is an intriguing reminder that baseball is, to many folks, so much more than just a whimsical game that possesses only recreational appeal. For many of us, baseball is therapeutic or at times even a haven in which we remain, protected from all that threatens to harm us, until the tumultuous tide of our lives has finally ceased to batter us and toss us about.

Mr. Dickey is not just another athlete; he is a wonderful amalgamation of athletic prowess and soul and engaging intellect. More noteworthy is his tale, one that is inspirational on many levels. He teaches us that even in our darkest hours, there is hope. And that hope can be found many times on a baseball diamond, where there is order and structure that is lacking elsewhere.

From the horrors of abuse as a child, to the crushing disappointment of an injury that all but eradicated his dream forever, R.A. Dickey persevered. This wonderful story of resiliency and redemption is one to which all folks can relate, not just baseball junkies. I suppose that I have such an affinity for this story because of the series I have written. The Legend of Mickey Tussler, although fiction, tells a similar tale. For those of you not familiar with my Mickey Tussler series (The Legend of Mickey Tussler and the sequel Sophomore Campaign), the novels chronicle the coming of age of young Mickey Tussler – a pitching phenom with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism.

Mickey’s struggle for acceptance on a minor league baseball team during the 1940s helps to shape a story about overcoming obstacles, self-discovery, and the human condition.

As we begin the second half of the baseball season, perhaps we should remain mindful that so many of our baseball idols are not impervious to the awful vicissitudes of life that plague the rest of us. In fact, many of these “chosen ones” who are not nearly as articulate as R.A. Dickey suffer in silence, with the ballpark serving as their only refuge.

I’m quite certain that R.A. Dickey’s telling of his story was cathartic for him, as is all good writing. However, let us not diminish for a second the value it continues to have for the general public -- “regular folks” who are looking for guidance and inspiration wherever they can find it -- yes, even on the baseball field.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever I Wind Up.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Morris Looks like an intriguing book. Will put it on my to read list.

Frank Nappi It definitely was.