Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Great and Precious Things

Great and Precious Things by Rebecca Yarros

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-kittyangel

I have no idea where to start with Great and Precious Things. I ran through every emotion possible while reading this story. It took me a little while after reading it to process everything. From Sullivan to Alexander to Camden … three different personalities, three different people but brothers. One was the golden boy, one was the war hero and one was despised.

Camden didn’t really care what the people of Alba thought about him. He was going home to help his father. He had two goals … to make sure his father got what he wanted in his life and to never set eyes on Willow again. He’ll have a hard road to travel with his dad and knows it will be nothing but a fight. He’s up to the task and will do whatever it takes to protect his father. Now, about not seeing Willow.

In a town where everyone knows your business, has outdated opinions and your Daddy is the Judge in the town, not showing your emotions or what you are really feeling is an art form. But, when those same people act as judge, jury and executioner without knowing the whole story, you have to make the choice to stand up to them and do whatever it takes to not give a damn anymore. And, that’s what Willow has to do now. She’s paid the price and now it’s time for Alba to suck-it-up. She’s where she wants to be, she’s with who her heart always wanted and, if they and her Dad can’t accept it then it’s their loss.

But, Cam has always protected Pika. Now, she’s telling him she doesn’t care what anyone thinks. She tells him the truth about her feelings and she tells him that she’ll always stand by him … no matter what. He can’t and won’t walk away again. He’s here, with the woman he loves, fighting for his father and will fight anyone who has anything to say about it.

There is so much more to this story than Cam and Willow. There’s Arthur. A man who you could possibly despise but have nothing but compassion for. There’s Alexander. The Golden Boy who could do nothing wrong but you can tell there’s an agenda with him and, when the truth comes out, you know you could possibly hate him but, deep down, you pity him. Sullivan … a man we don’t know much about but is revered within Alba. Noah Bradely. Yea, he may have redeemed himself but there is no way for me to respect him in any possible way. The people of Alba. They all needed to learn the truth, to see people for who they were and not what they did in the past. They needed to know the whole story, the truth … now they could judge.

I am not sure what to expect when I pick up a Rebecca Yarros novel. I know that I’m excited to read it. I know that I will enjoy it. But, I never know where she is going to take me. Will she take me on a ride in an Apache Helicopter from the Flight in Glory series? Will she take me down a mountain on a snowboard with the Renegades? Will she write a story that will make me cry ugly tears like The Last Letter? I guess what I am trying to say here is this is one of the most versatile authors I have ever read. I am never, ever disappointed. Cam and Willow’s story was beautiful, it was heart-wrenching, it was heart-warming … it was about the ties that bind … it was about forgiveness … it was about true and undeniable love.

Review copy provided for a voluntary review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great and Precious Things.

Started Reading
February 26, 2020 – Shelved
February 26, 2020 – Shelved as: guiltypleasures-kittyangel
February 26, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Anne OK Wonderful review! I can't wait to read this one.